Saturday, April 28, 2012

I've been doing some work for my thesis up at Mt. Lamlam (pics from the last post).  I have a couple of weather stations I put up there and I have to take my laptop up there twice a week to download meteorologic data from that site.  I had to go up there yesterday and when I got to the parking lot, I noticed two boonie dogs hanging out.  Boonie dogs are pretty much feral dogs that fend for them selves.  There are hundreds on Guam.  I started up the trail and heard some heavy breathing behind me.  I looked back and the two dogs were right on my heels.  I thought they would get bored or tired but they followed me all the way up to the top.  I gave them names on the way up.  Blondie (the blond one) had a collar so I dont know if he lived around there and was just out for an adventure.  Blacky-face (the dark one) had a rope around her neck that was way too tight.  After they followed me for about 20 minutes, I was finally able to get close enough to her to grab the rope and cut it off.  She had some sores on her neck so I hope the absence of the rope will make her feel better.  We had a nice walk together and got to know each other better.  When I was downloading my data they went and found a shady spot nearby and waited patiently for me.  They stayed right by my side the entire hike.  Blondie would walk right on my heels with his snout between my calves.  She stepped on my heels about 200 times and I accidentally kicked him in the chest and neck about 500 times.  He was so sweet.  I only had about a liter of water but the three of us shared it while on the trail.  I had some extra water in the car at the parking lot so I gave them a nice (but hot) drink when we got down.  It was nice to have some company since I'm always alone when I go out in the jungle.  It made me miss my Daisy-girl back in Utah.  I cant wait to see her.
 My new friends hiking up Lamlam
 Blondie relaxing in front of the crosses
 Blacky-face is worn out!
 Enjoying the view and the breeze at the top
 Sharing a bottle of water after a good hike!
We also found a new little friend on our balcony (Michael and Mathiue will enjoy this).  He was just a tiny guy and so cute.  I saw him on the wall and thought we should get some pictures.  Betty White has gone on to bigger and better things but we will be fostering Spanky until he grows up a bit more.  He should be safe on the balcony for a while.
 Meet Spanky.  Only a day or two old
 He's so tiny!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment