Saturday, May 15, 2010

Movin' to Guam

So its official, we're moving to Guam! I got a job through the University of Guam to conduct research on the island. I have also been accepted to the University of Guam's Environmental Science Masters program. I am leaving for Guam on the 7th of June and I plan to be there for about 2 years. Joey will stay in Utah with her family until October when I will meet her in Hawaii for a quick wedding. We will then go to Guam together from there. BIG CHANGES AHEAD!

It hasn't completely sunk in yet that I am moving in three weeks. I don't think it will register in my little head until I actually arrive there and the wave of humidity plows into me. As of right now, the only sure thing I have waiting for me is a job and an education. So far I don't have a place to live, a car, or a single friend on the island. This will be a completely new start. Hopefully I won't be needing much other than the essentials (swim suit, fishing pole, and a change of undies).

I'm looking forward to a slower pace and simpler way of life. Also looking forward to the beach, ocean, produce, seafood, different foods from foreign cultures, meeting new people, fishing, dog races, field work, going to classes, exploring and much much more. NOT looking forward to 90 degrees with 95% humidity, sunburns, 28 hours of travel, biting bugs, stinging bugs, swarming bugs, brown tree snakes (snakes are the one thing that will make me run like a little sissy-girl to my mommy), and being without my baby-cakes Joey for 4 months. But most of all I am NOT looking forward to leaving my family and friends. Even though I know this is temporary and I will be back to Salt Lake before I know it, it makes me sad to know I will be away from all of you for so long.

That's why I've set up this blog, to keep family and friends informed on what is happening with Joey and I while we are gone. Plus it's much easier and cheaper than phone calls. Its not that you're not all worth it (well maybe a few), but Guam is 16 hours ahead and its hard to coordinate a time to connect. It's either late here and early there or vice verse, and if I don't get enough sleep, you know I get cranky so this is my best solution to keep everyone up to date and informed. If I haven't already, I will be seeing you soon. Not to say 'good bye' but to say 'see you later', because we will be back before you or I know it.

1 comment:

  1. Look! I found you!

    I'm so excited to follow your adventures through your blog. I'm going to live vicariously through you - snakes, humidity, one change of undies, and all.

    Have fun, Trent. Enjoy the adventure. You're right. It will be over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete