Monday, July 5, 2010

Kool-aid and salt





1. Plumeria. Fuzzy but you get the idea
2. View from the 'office'
3. When the rains come, were prepared. Beach umbrellas come in handy everywhere!
4. Sunset from my balcony
5. Pot holes the size of dumpsters everywhere. Gettin' my swerve on!


I have eaten some really strange food in my life but this week tops it! Apparently all the cool and hip kids in Micronesia mix salt and their favorite flavor of kool-aid powder together and dip just about anything into it. Fruit, meat, or just a spit-covered finger. It is the most random and crazy thing I have heard of. I was fortunate enough to have cherry kool-aid powder mixed with a chicken ramen packet. Not a great mix with BBQed ribs. I gave it a fair try but its not for me. I think I'd prefer grape powder next time. You know when someone is addicted because they constantly have a red/orange/purple finger from licking and dipping, licking and dipping, licking and dipping. I'm not sure of the recipe but its probably up to the consumer. If you want to try, I'd say about 1:1 ratio is about right. And not the whole packet at once, only a little at a time. 50 cents for a packet of kool-aid and some salt is expensive... you cant leave it out all day in this humidity.

4th of July was a bust. Nothing happening at all. I heard there were fireworks at one of the Navy bases but they were weak sauce. I miss Sugarhouse. Those are fireworks my friends. I still had a good 4th though. I was able to meet my Step-fathers', cousins', wifes', sister (no, not a joke). I just call her Auntie Jan. Her father, husband, and herself took me out to a nice buffet in one of the oldest hotels in Tumon Bay (big tourist area). The buffet was awesome. They had all kinds of food. BBQ chicken, steak, ribs, spare ribs, pork, pastas and salads, soups, fresh sushi, 3 kinds of crab legs. But the best part was a guy in the middle of the buffet frying fresh tempura all night long. I was in heaven. I already ate dinner and its making me hungry again just thinking about the food. The hotel was right on the beach and they had an infinity pool that looked out over the ocean. It was awesome. Auntie Jan and her family are so nice and have been very helpful so far. I hope I can continue to get to know them. Her husband retired from the same college I have just started working for. He know a lot of the profs. there and he says I will be well taken care of there. He also spear fishes and he wants to teach me how. Can't wait!!! But for all you moms out there, yes..I'll be careful.

Still working way too much and playing way too hard. I was supposed to have a 3 or at least 2 day weekend this weekend but I ended up having a no day weekend. At least I'm not bored out of my mind right? No coconut crabbing last weekend. Too busy. This weekend though its going down. The boys already set out the traps so Friday afternoon we are heading out to setup camp. Hopefully I can be a man and not cry when the sun goes down. Sometimes I don't like the jungle in the day time. I can't imagine what it will be like at night. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for everyone who sends me emails and leaves me comments. I miss and love you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. these last two posts made us all giggle. you should write a book.

    good luck crab hunting. don't cry.

    ReplyDelete